Michael Magnan Presents...
Music for the Soul
February 24, 2006
“Schools are MISSIONARIES of our FAITH!”
Liturgy is …
- the SOURCE and the SUMMIT!
- God’s people gathering together
- public celebration and worship
- rituals – recognized FORM and STRUCTURE
- the WORK of the people
…participating is CRITICAL… it is NOT a spectator sport!
…BE INVOLVED ! It is not a CONCERT/PERFORMANCE!
Do we PARTICIPATE?
*There are SIGNS, SYMBOLS, ART FORMS that enhance involvement*
VOICE – sing, answer, pray
LISTENING – scripture, homily, music , silence
MOVEMENT – liturgical action, posture, gesture, dance
VISUALLY – banners, décor, dance, gestures, AV presentations
MUSIC – sing, play, dance, moving, listen
Is MUSIC so ESSENTIAL?
SETS the TONE – CONTROLS MOOD
REINFORCES THEMES & SYMBOLS
HIGHLIGHTS IMPORTANT PARTS of LITURGY
MUSIC do we CHOOSE FROM?
MUSICAL – technically, aesthetically, expressively ‘GOOD’ in style, value
LITURGICAL – Does it fit in/enhance the message?
PASTORAL – governs the use and function of every element of celebration
- expresses FAITH of the PLACE, AGE, CULTURE and is adapted to the NEEDS and TASTES of the liturgical community involved
SINGABLE – encourages participation
- of GREAT importance in celebration
- adapts to children (NEEDS/LEVELS/UNDERSTANDINGS)
APPROPRIATE – STYLE and TEXT to the liturgical, musical, pastoral needs
RHYTHM – uses SYNCOPATION (GREAT… for participation!)
MELODY – same tune repeated… so it can be easily learned/sung/played
MOVING – gestures, actions, drama
(* look in sign language dictionary for action ideas, kids can give actions)
is MOST IMPORTANT…
for Eucharistic Liturgy?
- ACCLAMATIONS – NOT OPTIONAL… MUST INCLUDE at EVERY Eucharist
- Holy, Holy
• No ALLELUIA sung in LENT
- PROCESSIONAL SONGS
- RESPONSORIAL PSALM
- ORDINARY CHANTS – OPTIONAL to be SUNG
- Lord Have Mercy
- Our Father
- Hail Mary
- SUPPLEMENTARY SONGS –
- Prayers of the Faithful
- Preparation of the Gifts
- Song after Communion
- Recessional Song
Use structure with creativity!
- Gathering Song
- Statement of Purpose
- Penitential Rite (PRAISE not sorrow)
- Opening Prayer (ASK related to theme)
LITURGY of the WORD:
- First Reading – scripture, story, book, poem
- Responsorial Psalm/Song
- Gospel Acclamation – STAND, SING, PROCESS
- Homily/discussion – bring ALIVE the reading for the children
i.e. ECHO MIME
- Prayers of Petition – ASK not THANK
- Commitment Rite and/or Symbolic Action
“Will you promise to_________?”
- Closing prayer
To assist with your celebrations…
- Use FAMILIAR greetings, responses, prayers, endings
(or at least choose familiar WITH unfamiliar)
- Use SYMBOLS (1 or 2)
• simple and clear
• that don’t need explanation (or explanation is part of celebration)
• appropriate – enhance the message
• NOT CLUTTER… but rather CLARIFY
- DON’T OVER-REHEARSE liturgy!
(It’s a CELEBRATION not a PRESENTATION!)