Demonstration of Learning
Third Report Period
Language Learning Station
- Calendar Book:
Notice the recording of Time, Temperatures, Events (Is your child keeping daily accurate recordings?)
- Journal Scribbler:
Notice the information recorded in this book. (Is your child's work neat, legible and complete and grammatically accurate?)
Choose any of the words on the Basic Word List (1-400), and quiz your child on them. (Notice how accurately your child can spell these.)
- Unit Work:
Have your child do one of our Unit Work activities
- fix error words
- write a sentence for the word(s)
- telling syllables, vowels, consonants, synonyms, antonyms, homonyms
- Extension Activities:
Have your child go through/read/do any of their READING booklets with you. (Notice how neat and accurate their completed pages have been.)
- Have your child read to you.
(Does your child read with enjoyment? with few errors/correct errors? with expression? with confidence? with sufficient volume?)
- Check your child's comprehension of what was read.
- Ask your child to explain our LIBRARY routines.
(Who is our librarian? What kind of books do they like to take out?)
Go through your child's 'Best Work' Folder and view his/her completed assignments.
(Does your child use proper punctuation, grammar, sentence and paragraph formation? Is the work neat and legible? Are the pieces of writing interesting?)
***Some of these assignments can be viewed at the COMPUTER station, by visiting our class pages at the BEN CALF ROBE SCHOOL website.***
Have your child explain what we do in this activity. You may do the SAMPLE ACTIVITY with them.
Have your child show you their handwriting booklet, and have them do the next page in it. (Does your child use a comfortable/natural hand and body position? Is he/she giving letters the proper slant and formation?)
CREE LANGUAGE LEARNING
Have your child tell you what they have learned, while working with Miss Anderson.
Ask your child to show you their CREE FILE and ask them about the material covered.
- Have your child tell you the
4 Steps of Problem Solving
- Go through your child's book and/or have your child complete the provided activity page.
- Have your child complete the MAD MINUTE sheet provided. (How well did your child complete the questions in 1 minute?)
- Go through your child's books (Place Value and Numbers) and notice how neat and accurate your child's work has been.
- Have your child show you a variety of numbers(to thousands) using the BASE 10 MANIPULATIVES
- Have your child locate and name the different 3-D solids.
- Have your child tell you for each:
FACES, EDGES, VERTICES and OBJECTS in the world, that are these shapes.
- Have your child show you how to measure with a ruler.
Ask them to show you:
MILLIMETRE, CENTIMETRE, DECIMETRE, METRE and tell you what a KILOMETRE is.
- Have your child tell you the VALUE of the different MONIES. Ask your child to show you different amounts using the different MONIES.
- Review TIME and TEMPERATURE knowledge by asking your child to explain these and/or go through their booklets on these.
Social Studies Learning
- Complete the activity page provided.
Have your child explain the following:
- RURAL and URBAN communities
- WANTS vs NEEDS (examples of each)
- GOODS and SERVICES (examples of each)
INTERDEPENDENCE and SPECIAL COMMUNITIES
Have your child explain the following:
- CHARACTERISTICS of the communities of Edmonton and another community (a Native people community and/or a Northern community like Nunavut)
- SIMILARITIES and DIFFERENCES between Edmonton and the other community
- COOPERATIVE RELATIONSHIPS between Edmonton and the other community. (What do we trade with them and them with us?)
ROCKS and MINERALS
- Have your child explain the 3 types of ROCKS and how each is formed.
- Have your child tell you what MINERALS are, and how minerals are used.
- Have your child tell you how to TEST for HARDNESS in rocks and minerals.
BUILDING and TESTING WITH A VARIETY of MATERIALS
- Have your child tell you about the BRIDGE/STRUCTURE BUILDING presentation and what your child learned from it.
- Have your child tell you what a FAIR TEST is and give you an example of a FAIR TEST.
- Have your child build you a structure using the materials provided at this station. Does your child hesitate at this task? Is he/she successful at building a fairly stable structure?
Religion, Music, Art, Christian Family Life and Native Studies Learning
- Have your child show and explain our GOD CENTER and the significance of items in it.
- Ask your child to go through our MORNING RITUALS for you. (Drum Song, Prayers, Brain Gym)
- Ask your child to tell you about our CELEBRATIONS, and other special learning times we've been involved in, for Religion.
Ask your child to tell you about the different kinds of Music learning we have done.
- Music Appreciation (going to the WINSPEAR, listening to music in class)
- Religion Songs (for celebrations)
- Singing Games and Text Songs(concept learning)
- Cultural Music (drumming, chanting, dancing) in NATIVE STUDIES
Ask your child to show you/tell about their ART learning (THEME activities)
Have your child tell you about the different projects we have done in NATIVE STUDIES.
CHRISTIAN FAMILY LIFE
Have your child explain what he/she is learning about healthy living habits, positive behavior, relationsips with others, safety.
Have them tell you how this learning can help a person in their life.
Computers and Physical Education Learning
Have your child explain the learning that Miss Anderson has done with them, ON THE COMPUTERS.
Have your child demonstrate this learning. (Notice how well your child is doing with computer knowledge and keyboarding skills).
Have your child take you to the BEN CALF ROBE SCHOOL WEBSITE (on the Internet), and take you to our Grade 3 Student Works pages. Have your child show you their work displayed there.
Have your child tell you what Mr. Bain has taught them for Physical Education. Ask your child the rules for gym and if he/she enjoys this time.
Please take time to complete the 'Demonstration of Learning' Evaluation Form, for you and your child.
Is there anything else you wish to view or do while you are here, visiting your child's classroom/school?
Are there any further questions you wish to find answers to, or issues to discuss, with your child's teacher(s)?
Have you had the opportunity to view all the displays, inside and outside of the classroom?
THANK YOU FOR COMING !!!
Taking the time to be a part of your child's journey of learning, will benefit you and your child, for many days to come.
May our Creator bless and keep you in PEACE, in health, in love and in happiness!