Demonstration of Learning
Third Report Period
Language Learning Station
- Notice the recording of Time, Temperatures, Events
(Is your child keeping daily accurate recordings?)
- Notice the information recorded in this book.
(Is your child's work neat, legible, complete and grammatically accurate?)
- Choose any of the words on the Basic Word List (1-400), and quiz your child on them.
(Notice how accurately your child can spell these.)
- Unit Work:
Have your child do one of our Unit Work activities
- fix error words
- write a sentence for the word(s)
- charting syllables, vowels, consonants
- Have your child go through/read/do their WORD SKILLS or Reading Skills booklet with you.
(Notice how neat and accurate their completed pages have been.)
- Have your child read to you.
(Does your child read with enjoyment? with few errors/correct errors? with expression? with confidence? with sufficient volume?)
- Check your child's comprehension of what was read.
(Do the questions provided or ask them your own)
- Ask your child to explain our LIBRARY routines.
(Who takes them? What kind of books do they like to take out?)
- Go through your child's Writing Folder and view his/her completed assignments.
(Does your child use proper punctuation, grammar, sentence and paragraph formation? Is the work neat and legible? Are the pieces of writing interesting?)
***Some of these assignments can be viewed at the COMPUTER station, by visiting our class pages at the BEN CALF ROBE SCHOOL website.***
Have your child explain what we do in this activity.
(Does your child have any errors recorded on their booklet pages?)
Have your child show you their handwriting booklet, and have them do the next page in it.
(Does your child use a comfortable/natural hand and body position? Is he/she giving letters the proper slant and formation?)
CREE LANGUAGE LEARNING
- Have your child tell you what they have learned, while working with Miss Anderson.
- Ask your child to show you their CREE books and quiz them on the material covered.
Mathematics Learning Station
- Have your child complete the MAD MINUTE sheet provided.
(How well did your child complete the questions in 1 minute?)
- Go through your child's books (Place Value and Numbers, Money, Geometry) and notice how neat and accurate your child's work has been.
- Have your child show you a variety of numbers(to thousands) using the BASE 10 MANIPULATIVES
- Have your child locate and name the different 3-D solids.
- Have your child tell you for each:
FACES, EDGES, VERTICES and OBJECTS in the world, that are these shapes.
- Have your child show you how to measure with a ruler.
Ask them to show you:
MILLIMETRE, CENTIMETRE, DECIMETRE, METRE and tell you what a KILOMETRE is.
- Have your child tell you the VALUE of the different MONIES. Ask your child to show you different amounts using the different MONIES.
- Review TIME and TEMPERATURE knowledge by asking your child to explain these and/or go through their booklets on these.
Social Studies Learning Station
- Complete the activity page provided.
Have your child explain the following:
- RURAL and URBAN communities
- WANTS vs NEEDS (examples of each)
- GOODS and SERVICES (examples of each)
INTERDEPENDENCE and SPECIAL COMMUNITIES
Have your child explain the following:
- CHARACTERISTICS of the communities of Edmonton and another community (a Native people community and/or a Northern community like Nunavut)
- SIMILARITIES and DIFFERENCES between Edmonton and the other community
Science Learning Station
TESTING WITH A VARIETY of MATERIALS and DESIGNS
- Have your child build you a structure using the materials provided at this station.
(Does your child hesitate at this task? Is he/she succesful at building a fairly stable strucure?)
- Have your child tell you of similar structures we made using different materials. Which structures were most stable?
ROCKS and MINERALS
- Have your child choose one of the rocks from the rock set and have them describe the color, luster, and texture of the rock.
- Ask your child what the hardest mineral on Earth is, and which mineral is one of the softest.
Religion, Music, Art, Christian Family Life and Native Studies Learning Station
- Have your child show and explain our GOD CENTER and the significance of items in it.
- Ask your child to go through our MORNING RITUALS for you. (Drum Song, Prayers, Brain Gym)
- Ask your child to tell you about Sister Henrietta's visits, and other special learning times we've been involved in, for Religion.
- Ask your child to tell you about the different kinds of Music learning we have done.
***Can do the provided MUSIC ACTIVITY***
- Music Appreciation (during Brain Gym and other times)
- Religion Songs (for celebrations)
- Singing Games and Text Songs(concept learning)
- Cultural Music (drumming, chanting, dancing) in NATIVE STUDIES
- Ask your child to show you/tell about their ART learning with Miss Anderson (and Enrichment with Mrs. Hall).
- Have them tell you what projects we have done and what materials we have used.
(Explain your color wheel.)
- Have your child tell you about the different crafts we have made in NATIVE STUDIES.
CHRISTIAN FAMILY LIFE
- Have your child explain what he/she is learning about, with Mrs. Larsen.
- Have them tell you how this learning can help a person in their life.
- Take a look through your child's Healthy Me Booklet and notice the quality of work throughout.
Computers and Physical Education Learning Station
- Have your child explain the learning that Miss Anderson has done with them, ON THE COMPUTERS.
- Have your child demonstrate this learning.
(Notice how well your child is doing with computer knowledge and keyboarding skills).
- Have your child take you to the BEN CALF ROBE SCHOOL WEBSITE (on the Internet)at
and take you to our Grade 3 Student Works pages.
- Have your child show you their work displayed there.
- Have your child tell you what Miss Anderson has taught them for Physical Education. Ask your child the rules for gym and if he/she enjoys this time.
- Have your child tell you the skills we have practiced in gymnastics.
- Have your child tell you what type of dancing we have started to learn in our gym class.
Please take time to complete the 'Demonstration of Learning' Evaluation Form, for you and your child.
Before You Leave...
Is there anything else you wish to view or do while you are here, visiting your child's classroom/school?
Are there any further questions you wish to find answers to, or issues to discuss, with your child's teacher(s)?
Have you had the opportunity to view all the displays, inside and outside of the classroom?
THANK YOU FOR COMING !!!
Taking the time to be a part of your child's journey of learning, will benefit you and your child, for many days to come.
May our Creator bless and keep you safe from harm, free from pain, and filled with love and happiness!
Have a blessed Easter and enjoy our Spring Break!